Monday, October 26, 2009

EARLY TO RISE


I’m an early riser but after a day of several appointments I decided to sleep in this morning. It’s now 6:30 a.m. and the neighbor’s lawn mower has me wide awake. As I sip my coffee I wait for the bizarre procedure to end: mow the lawn, water the lawn, mow the lawn again (yes, again), edge the lawn with a gasoline powered edger, and finally, FINALLY, use the loudest blower known to man – and this routine takes place sometimes twice a week!
I wouldn’t complain so much about the noise, if the blower operator would at least blow all the clippings, leaves and debris into a pile, then pick everything up and get rid of it (preferably by recycling). But that’s not what most people do. They use their blowers to disperse the mess they’ve made to their neighbors’ yards and gutters. Thanks, but no thanks, if I wanted a carpet of grass and crap covering my sidewalk I have six hundred square feet of yard that could easily supply my needs.
I can’t figure it out. A blower isn’t like a ray gun; it can’t make junk disintegrate – it’s gotta go someplace! And if the idea of yard work is to make things look nice and tidy, where does a gutter full of litter fit into the picture?
It must be true; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
FACT OR FIB – you be the judge.

2 comments:

Taos Sunflower said...

I think leaf blowers are one of the most ridiculous things ever. I thought lots of the Los Angeles area had made them illegal...I think they should be outlawed. What a waste of fuel and time, for no good purpose.

recklessspinner said...

I agree! Why not save some money and instead of going to the gym as often, exercise the old fashioned way - with a broom for one thing.